Soon after midnight tonight, April 14, we can start to view a lunar eclipse that is special for a number of reasons. The first total lunar eclipse since 2011, it initiates a rare series of four such lunations, called a lunar tetrad, which unfolds during 2014 and 2015. By synchronizing with its astrological potential, we can jump start breakthroughs in areas that seem stuck.
There is something about looking up to the sky to behold changes in the Sun or Moon that seems magical. Ancient cultures from China to Mesoamerica held such eclipses to be portents of change in consciousness and affairs. At one time or another in their histories, most empires used these striking signs in the sky to encourage fear and superstition in the masses. But the wise have known how to read their symbolism as part of a cosmic dance in which we can all participate.
A total lunar eclipse tends to dye the Moon coppery red, and there are those who call it a Blood Moon. Astronomically speaking, the reddish glow is caused by sunrise and sunset on Earth’s horizons reflecting back onto the Moon. This revelation is fascinating in the context of Mayan cosmology. For the most ancient occupants of Mesoamerica, the brilliant skies at the beginning and end of the day were more than just a nice view. They were taken to be the visible expression of angelic solar forces. Each day, Mayans called on the essence of the sunrise to help them be focused and determined in their higher purpose throughout the day. As the sun set, the essence of intuition was invoked to awaken one’s subtle awareness. With these teachings in mind, the peculiar glow of the eclipse can be seen to mirror intelligent forces that work to bless the portals between night and day, between dreamtime and our active hours.
A total lunar eclipse can help make our dreams come true, bringing freedom from habits and situations that seemed embedded. This one combines the influence of North Node, good fortune, with Venus, planet of love, and Mars the warrior. The warrior image evokes another ancestral key for Eclipse energy: that of a psychic shield. In accordance with the present portal, we raise a shield of kindness, to protect our minds and thoughts and jumpstart our dreams:
- Think of something you desire or need, something really good so you don’t waste the power of this portal.
- Light a pink candle and ask the angels of kindness to shine through its rays.
- Visualize this pink light burning in your heart, as you repeat the following words for 10 minutes:
I choose to radiate kindness to myself and others, even those who bother me. This energy surrounds me and my desire now manifests under the shield of kindness now.
Close your meditation by visualizing the Moon with its reddish hue. If you can do this during the actual eclipse, observe its color while you think of it as a Moon-mirror of Earth that is being embraced by angel light from one horizon to another. If you can’t see it physically, evoke this image in your mind.
The energy print of this eclipse continues to shine in the invisible realms for five weeks after its appearance. We can reinforce the above synchronization by repeating this affirmation for five minutes daily from now through May 20. As you close your daily meditation, see the Moon-mirror in your mind and imagine the earth surrounded by the rosy embrace of angels.
The following tip for your Sun sign or rising sign can help you harness the energy of change triggered at this lunation.
- Aries: Get still long enough to visualize the change you desire in relationships, with partners, clients and the public in general.
- Taurus: Move yourself to and new doors will open in work, begin an exercise and nutrition program, and do something special for your pets.
- Gemini: Develop your creativity or artistic expression, renew your relationships with children and friends, and make a space for fun in your life.
- Cancer: Stop postponing the changes you have been considering in your home and family situations.
- Leo: Buckle down to ground new opportunities in study, communication, sales and promotional endeavors.
- Virgo: You can move beyond self-sabotage and make breakthroughs in your confidence that attract financial abundance.
- Libra: Take the reigns of your life, your wellness and your self-image.
- Scorpio: Begin a cycle of dream work, make a daily space to heed your inner voice and reconnect with your mission of service.
- Sagittarius: Among your many projects, focus on one that will arise in affiliations or community groups.
- Capricorn: The success you’ve been building for gets a jump start.
- Aquarius: Hone your intellectual gifts with new degree or course of study, and join a worthy cause.
- Pisces: Secrets arise help that help you see yourself more clearly. Use the information to heal your inner child. You receive fortuitous material blessings.